WONT STAR

2006 Cadillac STS • V8 2WD Automatic • 37,537 miles

When I push star button nothing is display
Angelhr

You apply the brake, and press the start button? Nothing happens, no clicks, no 'no fobs detected message', what does the security icon on the instrument cluster do?

Factoryjack
The security icon stays on but if I try to turn the ignitionbutton offit wont turn off it only stays in the accesories active

Angelhr
Does the ignition turn on, all the indicators and lighting powers up? You may have to push and hold it for a few seconds. What are the messages displayed on the info center when the ignition is turned on?

Factoryjack
When I press star the dash goes off but car wont star five seconds later dash comes back on but car still doesn't star is like something is cutting off power from dash

Angelhr
If that is the case, I would suggest having the signal at the starter checked. From the sound of it, the system is not seeing a problem with theft deterrent. The only other suggestion would be to install a scan tool and check for codes, and valid communications with all modules. One other thing you might try, is disconnecting both battery cables, shorting them together for a minute or two, reconnecting and attempting start. If there is a locked up module in the system disrupting the communication line, this procedure would correct that.

Factoryjack
I try connecting mi snapon scanner but it cant scan it wont comunicate with vehicle it says there is no power from vehicle also in the display on dash is telling me to shift to park but the car is on parkin I also try the brake switch but stilll does the same thing you thing my theft module is active

Angelhr
It could be a possibility that your scanner is not CAN capable, which is a communication standard on later models. Seriously, try the battery cable disconnect and short as described earlier. See if that helps, and reply to post.

Factoryjack
I have a new scanner I just bougth from snapon I try the cable short but still have the same problem I also try activating the alarm but it wont go off but the control unlocks and locks the doors

Angelhr
If it continuously displays 'shift to park' with the key on, perhaps it is reading that it is in another gear. What happens if you turn the key on and move the shifter, what does the display indicate? If it will change on the display, try selecting neutral, and see if the vehicle will start then. There is a bulletin that may apply, it references checking the transmission connector for terminal issues. I have included it for your reference. I am not certain on the aftermarket scan tool, you would know more than I would on it's compatibility, but the fact it is not communicating may be telling you something. I work at a GM dealer, and use their equipment, so when there is a communication issue, I can be almost certain it is a problem with the vehicle.

#PIC4740B: No Crank Multiple Warning Telltales ON Trans Shift Hard - (Nov 19, 2008)

Subject: No Crank, Multiple Warning Telltales On, Trans Shifts Hard

Models: 2008-2009 Cadillac CTS w/ Automatic Transmission

2007-2009 Cadillac SRX w/ 6-Speed Transmission

2006-2007 Cadillac STS w/ 6-Speed Transmission

2008- 2009 Cadillac STS

2006-2008 Cadillac STS-V

This PI was superseded to update model years. Please discard PIC4740A.

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern: Some customers may comment about one or more of the following concerns.

• The vehicle will not crank over and start.

• Multiple warning telltales illuminate

• The transmission shifts hard

• The door locks cycle while driving

The diagnostic system check may reveal one or more of the DTC listed below are stored. The transmission control module (TCM) or engine control module (ECM) may not communicate with the scan tool. The cause may be unseated pins in the transmission connector.

C0242
ECM Indicated TCS Malfunction

C0561
System Disabled Information Stored

P0575
Cruise Control Switch Signal Circuit

P0615
Starter Relay Control Circuit

P0700
Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL Illumination

P0856
Traction Control Torque Request Circuit

P1629
Theft Deterrent Fuel Enable Signal Not Received

P2544
Transmission Torque Request Circuit

U0073
Controller Area Network (CAN) Bus Communication

U0100
Lost Communication With ECM/PCM

U0101
Lost Communication With TCM

U0121
Lost Communication With Anti-Lock Brake System (ABS) Control Module

U0140
Lost Communication With Body Control Module

U2100

U2105
Lost Communication With Engine Control Module (ECM)

U2106
Lost Communication With Transmission Control Module (TCM)

Recommendation/Instructions: Inspect the transmission connector terminal connections. Disconnect the connector and carefully tug on each wire to ensure the pins are fully seated. A side load on the wires may cause a false positive lock. Repair the connections as necessary.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

Factoryjack
Could you tell me were the tcm is located I check the transmission plug and everyting is ok when I try diagnose the car I only able to check antilock, airbags, tire monitor, everyting but not the engine

Angelhr