BMW 330 OIL CHANGE PROBLEM

2006 BMW 330 • 67,000 miles

Oil gauge.

The low oil warning came up on my dashboard. Someone advised that the only way that would come on is if I had a leak. Is it unusual for this to periodically come on? It seems I have seem it every couple of months or so. At which point I just add 1 quart and its fine again. If it is not, typical, what could it be? I do think I saw a oil stain onthe ground after leaving my car in a spot over night. Thanks in advance

First of all have it checked for a leak. Second, all cars today use some oil between oil changes so you'll find the dip stick is marked with "min" and "max" instead of "add" and "full". That is to reduce the complaints of oil usage. That usage is considered normal due to the use of low-friction piston rings for better fuel mileage. Also compare how long you're going between oil changes to what is recommended.

There isn't any dipstick on that car.

Dr. Hagerty
What possible reason would a manufacturer have for not using a dipstick? We all know BMW does a lot of things that are not in the owners' best interest, but leaving the oil level to a sensor is just asking for potentially expensive trouble. How do you know the speedy oil change place put in as much as is required and you were charged for? There's plenty of dumb ideas coming from car designers already without including another obvious one.

Thanks Dr. H.

The oil level is determined by scrolling through a menu. It is accessed by switches on the turn signal stalk. I didn't agree with it either, but then again, my name aint on the dang thing!

Dr. Hagerty