WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN ODB CODE READER AND ODB SCANNER? I HAVE READ SOME SAYING THAT FOR A CODE READER THE ENGINE LIGHT NEEDS TO BE ON BUT FOR

2006 Audi 100

I have read some saying that for a code reader the engine light needs to be on but for scanners does not
Justingss

My definition between the two, A code reader just reads the code and a scantool gives you live data on parameters and actuators

A code reader is just that it reads codes a scanner will read codes and will read readyness status of monitors. A code reader just pulls codes. A scanner pulls codes, stores freeze frame data and you can view live sensor data. The engine light may not be on but there may still be a codes stored in the computer. The code reader can still be used to check for codes that don't turn the light on. In a word it is Same as scons and scones if you ask me

Angelasa
You just have to make sure that your car will support live data on the unit you end up purchasing, some manufacturers block live data read out with out a factory scanner.

Mhpautos