STILL NO START

2005 Volvo XC90 • V8 AWD Automatic • 182 miles

Xc90- 2 CODES- P0089/P0191 NO START. TESTED PUMP AND REPLACED- STILL NO START. REPLACED FUEL PRESSURE SENSOR- STILL NO START. OUT OF IDEAS AND NEED A NEW ONE- THANKS!

ps- 182, XXX ON CAR. NEW MOTOR FROM DEALER AT 100K
Powersct

Did you check the fuel pressure if its within specs when you replaced the fuel pump? If so -check for an ignition spark

Yes, back to the basics in the morning- thanks and I'll let you know.

Powersct
Did you have any other problems before you had the no start condition? Was there any unusual noises from under the hood? The reason I ask is because PO089 and the fact you have a 2005 V8 worries me about what your real problem could be?

JIS001
Not that I'm aware of- just began an intermittent no start condition- now straight crank/ no start. Car belongs to a friend and I do a fair amount of Volvo/BMW work on the side. I started with following the codes that he had pulled at the parts store when the failure started- beginning with the fuel pump. Currently my scanner shows no codes. What do you suspect? Just so I can keep it in mind when I start the steps tomorrow. Thanks.

Powersct
BTW, I have VADIS software and it points to where I've been so far with no luck.

Powersct
I was hoping you could actually get the actual ECM codes and post them on here since PO codes are too generic. If you did have a timing code, I would suspect a slipped timing chain on here. So far on the 2005 V8, the balance shaft bearing will seize up and the sprocket will snap off causing the chain to slip. You could do a compression check to verify all cylinders are good. Keep in mind, if the chain did slip then for sure your valves have bent. Let me know what you find during the compression test.

JIS001
Still stuck on this thing. Talked to the owner- no unusual noises prior to no start condition. Cranking sounds normal. I have now been into the fuel control module (front of RR wheel) where there was a lot of corrosion on the connector. After cleaning that up I now have the pump running on key and crank, however, no pressure at the schraders (near filter and at the front)- just weird. More ideas welcome- thanks.

Powersct
Do you have fuel in the vehicle? If pump is running but no pressure, that indicates the tank is empty?

JIS001
Came in with 3/4- drained off about half that to ease spillage. Pump cup on right and pickup on left are submerged. Have a question if you know- I was told that the pickup on the left and its pump are supposed to run constant. Right now I have pump at key and crank- don't know if that's the main or the pick up pump.

Otherwise, The owner of the car arranged a consult with a Volvo dealer mechanic on the phone. After explaining the steps I have taken(R&R pump and FPS)and everything else I have done, he concurred that the problem is a strange one and that my logic has been correct. There was some progress after cleaning up the corrosion on the connector of the control module, so, In conjunction with the Volvo guy's estimation I gave the owner a choice- hook it to the dealer or buy the module- no guarantees of course. The module is on the way and I will post the final outcome. If you have other suggestions I am all ears.

Powersct
If you are replacing the fuel pump driver module, the repair actaully has you install the module inside the vehicle. You would need to cut the harness out and to solder in the new harness inside the vehilce.
I can give you some part numbers. You need 2 plugs for the wheel housing part# 974688
control module part# 30769225
cable harness part# 30724838
Let me know if you want to move it inside the vehicle and if you want the instructions?

All check the fuses for the fuel pump since you could have 2 pump motors in the fuel pump assembly. Here is a service bulletin

NO: 23-29

DATE: 1-17-2008

MODEL: See chart below

M. YEAR: 2005-2007

SUBJECT: Installing Extra Fuel Pump Feed Cable

REFERENCE: VIDA, TNN 23-28

THIS TNN SUPERSEDES THE PREVIOUS VERSION DATED 8-23-2007. THE ENGINE CODE LIST HAS BEEN MODIFIED AND STEP 10 HAS BEEN CLARIFIED. PLEASE UPDATE YOUR FILES.

Note! If using a printed version of this TNN, first check for the latest online version.

Description

Certain S60, S80, V70, XC70, and XC90 vehicles use a demand-controlled fuel system with a fuel pump control module (FP control module, or Pump Electronic Module [PEM]) and a fuel pump with two pump motors. The fuel system design was modified in production during the summer of 2006. Each motor within the pump was given its own fused electrical circuit.

If the fuel pump fuse is blown and it is determined that the fuel pump is defective, the additional circuit should be added for vehicles within the chassis range shown above. This TNN provides instructions for installing this circuit.

Note! Always first check if there is a fuse in position 29 in the CEM, as the chassis ranges above may be approximate, depending on engine code.

Note! This repair is not applicable to the following variants: ^ S80 T6 and XC90 T6 (engine code 91)

^ Model year 2004 S60R and V70R

^ S60 and V70 vehicles with steel fuel tanks

So if there was a bad fuse this repair would have you add another feed circuit so fuse the second pump. Let me know if you need that info as well? Let me know what happens.

JIS001