VOLVO S60 GAS PROBLEM

2005 Volvo S60 • 92,000 miles

My car is getting on average of 11-13mpg fuel economy. I do not drive hard or accelerate fast. I put the suggested 93 octane fuel in it, but the gas mileage is horrible. The car runs smooth and starts up great. It is the AWD with a turbo, but the gas mileage still shouldnt be that bad. I get on average of 100 miles to a half tank. Any ideas?
Willcourson

Awd uses more gas, high octane fuel actually gets worse mileage than 87 octane. What condition are the tires in. Are they set to the right pressure. Winter also has a factor on it. You use more gas in the winter. How clean is the oil filter. Are any engine lights on?

Gmtech
Sorry it should be how clean is the air filter

Gmtech
The tires are almost new. I just changed the oil, and with it I changed the air filter. They are at the correct pressure. I understand that one will get worse mileage in the winter, but 11-13 mpg is a little rediculous I would think. Specially since it is rated at low 20's. I have read that sticking break calipers could be one reason or even spark splugs?

Willcourson
If you haven't changed the spark plugs yet do that for sure

Gmtech
I just bought the car in September, so I am assuming that they might have not been changed in a while. Would you have any other suggestions? Are you very familiar with Volvo's?

Willcourson
I don't have a lot of experience with them no, but cars in general. With that kind of mileage the plugs are overdue. Try that and see what happens. You can also do an injector flush

Gmtech
Ok I will try that. What is an injector flush and how would I go about doing one? I am asuming that you flush out the fuel injectors, but is there a special way to go about that?

Willcourson
I know our shop has a special tool. You can buy some injector cleaner to put in your gas tank not as good but worth a try

Gmtech
If you do that do it first before changing the plugs because you don't want to foul up your new plugs. Measure the gap on the old ones to see how worn they are

Gmtech
I did try that. I put some of that Lucas in my gas. It helped a little bit for a short period of time, then it went back to how it was. Could that possibly give a bigger indication that it may be the plugs?

Willcourson
Page 1 of 2