REAR BRAKE CALIPER PISTON COVER

2005 Volvo S40 • 131,000 miles

I am in the process of replacing the rear dust/piston caliper cover and I was wondering if there is some type of glue and adhesive that is used to seal the cover in place. I took the old one off with a small screw driver but it really wasn't seeded down into the caliper - it just sealed round an 1/8th of an inch circular edge. I guess this is all that's needed? Just concerned because I've tried to review some caliper repair clips and it seems that the piston cover seeds down into the piston chamber, on some models, when you re-install it. Thanks! Ron
Rmosser

No, you didn't pull it out. You just ripped it in half. The rest of it is sitting in the groove inside the housing. As you were advised at the other site, this is far more complex than it appears to be and you would be smart to simply replace the caliper.

Wrenchtech
I think you may be off on this one. I purchased a repair kit and it came with a new dust cover that matches the one I took off. Therefore, it just seals around and 1/8th an inch edge on the caliper, and it has no add'l portion to extend internally. That's why I was asking about an adhesive or something. Ron

Rmosser
The piston holds it in. It can't come out with the piston in place.

Wrenchtech
I agree, but this is a Volvo s40 and it's my first experience with this vehicle. There is no internal portion for the boot, just external.I guess i'll have to check with the dealership Monday to confirm.

Rmosser
They all work the same way. There is a groove just inside the housing that the lip fits into and the piston holds it in there. The hard part is getting the piston back in while keeping the boot lip in place. If you've never done one before and don't have the tools required, you will fight with it for a real long time.

Wrenchtech