ENGINE DIES

2005 Scion tC • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 74,000 miles

What is the problem if my engine dies while driving and it will turn over but no ignition will be achieved
Gingerkins16

There are a great deal of possibilities. Let me know a few things and I will help you eliminate some posibilities and start diagnosing the source.
Has the car been in any accidents or had any repairs or service done recently?
Is the problem occurring more often or are the times between it happening random?
When you say there is no ignition, have you checked for sprak when the car has stalled?
If not, the next time it stalls, pull a plug and put it in its plug wire and then sit the plug so the threaded part touches bare metal on the engine. Careful not to put it near any fuel lines, etc.
When the car stalls, does it have to sit a certain amount of time before it will re-start or does it take different lengths of time for it to run again?
Let me know and I will watch this post for your replay and get back to you ASAP.

No accidents, I did replace the water pump about three weeks ago. It is not a re-occurring problem because the car has not started since it died. It will turn over but nothing will actually start. I believe I have coils for ignition I was told not to take those out.

Gingerkins16
When you replaced the water pump did the timing belt have to be removed and replaced?

Yes, your ignition is a "coil over" type ignition where every spark plug has its own coil. You do not want to completly remove them but it is okay to remove the bolt that retains the coil, pull it off gently and theis will allow you to remove the spark plug. You will need the proper size spark plug socket which is special becasue it has rubber in it to hold the spark plug so you can pull it out of the plug well when removing and replacing it. The coils are expensive so be careful and only do 1 at a time so the order does not get messed up. Do take care but don't be afraid. However, using caution when you aren't sure is a good thing.
Let me know tha above and I wioll reply ASAP.

I am not sure if the timing belt needed to be replaced I can tell you that I did not replace it nor am I familiar with how to. I do not have the tools to pull off the spark plug where I am now so I will have to get back to you tomorrow, is there an email I can reach you personally?

Gingerkins16
I keep the link to posts that I am working with. So, all you need to do is reply to this link again and I will be notified and will reply ASAP.

How would my timing belt be affected by me changing the water pump and not replacing the water pump

Gingerkins16
And not replacing the timing belt at the same time?

Gingerkins16
I cannot recall if the Toyota motor has the timing belt driving the water pump or not. It is generally the set up on Toyotas and Hondas that way.
When the timing belt gets messed with, the top dead center can get lost and then the valves can get damaged or the cam timing thrown off to where compression is low and the motor does not want to run.
Just want to eliminate all possibilities as we go through sources that are casuing the problem.
Another thought, since the water pump was replaced, did it fail due to the anti-freeze not being serviced and corrosion got it?
Do you know why the pump failed or can you tell me what you found when it was replaced, e.G, rust corrosion, etc?
Did the car sit for a while without running?
If not, did it run well before the pump was replaced or did it run fine for a while after the pump was changed?
The Scion is a great car and with the mileage being less than 100,000, there is something that is probably a side casualty of the same problem that caused the water pump to fail.
If it sat, was wrecked or the anti-freeze was not changed and it damaged the water pump. These are good clues into the reason the car is not running. Also, the old saying, "Don't fix it unless its broke" has ruined my day so many times. It is very true becasue there are so many times that I have tried to work on something and ended up breaking or damaging somehting else while working on the original problem I wished I had never touched it. Just the nature of the beast.

While I was replacing it it did not see any correlation between the timing belt and the pump. I have been driving it for a solid two and a half weeks since I replaced the pump, has run just fine. The seals on the pulley side of the pump were allowing coolant to leak from there. No rust or corrosion around the pump when removed. Do you know if the scion has an interference or non interference engine I cant get a straight answer on google.

Gingerkins16
The pump is driven by the serpentine belt, that is the only belt I had to remove in order to replace the pump

Gingerkins16