PONTIAC G6 COOLANT PROBLEM

2005 Pontiac G6 • 91,000 miles

Ok so this seems to be a major question with these cars air pockets. I think I had one about two weeks ago my coolant got real low and while I was driving down the highway I started to spit out white smoke and over heated I quickly went to the side of the road turned off my car and had it towed to a friends house. We then went to go see if it started thinking I had blown a head gasket only to find out it was running just fine no problems we drove it and let it run for about 45 mins nothing no over heating no white smoke no strange noises. So when we asked we were told it was an air pocket. Now when driving the other day it started to lose my heat and started over heating again I checked all fluids fine turned it off let it set a min and nothing was back to normal. Because it loses my heat before it starts to over heat we think its just the thermostat not operating correctly. We have checked the oil and its not cloudy looks just fine. Are their any other opinions on this does it sound like a thermostat or a cracked head?
Prettyleelee

Have it pressure checked for leaks firstthere are bleeders for air but if coolant is low it's leaking someplace.