AIR CONDITIONER SOUND

2005 Mini Cooper • 4 cylinder FWD • 82,000 miles

I have a 2005 Cooper with a sound coming from the air conditioner unit. Basically, when engaged and at idle, there is a noticable whine above normal engine noise. When proceeding through the gears at speed, the sound increased to a howl-as you gear down, the sound becomes less audible. If the ac is shut down duiring driving, the noise completely disappears.

Any ideas?
Smithla47

Sounds like you have a bad compressor. You need to have that verified by a competent technician.

Wrenchtech
You could have a bad bearing in the a/c clutch remove the belt and spin the a/c pulley by hand and listen for that noise.

I would expect it to be an internal bearing instead of pulley bearing since it disappears when the clutch is disengaged.

Wrenchtech
If its not the outside then its the inside if you rule out the outside you know its the inside.

Wouldn't disengaging the clutch be doing just that? Pulley still turning, noise gone.

Wrenchtech
There would be more of a load on that outter bearing with the a/c engaged and could only make noise with the a/c on anything is possible. Iam not trying to argue with you iam just trying to help this person fix there car.