2005 Isuzu Ascender Repair Question
2005 Isuzu Ascender 4.2 six GM engine Fan clutch replacement. I believe reversable threads for removal. However the shaft it rides on spins with wrench. Can you lock and how for removal. Also fan guaud around fan tight fit. Does all have to come out at on
this is an electrical controlled fan are you removing it to replace water pump? or because it'snot working?Tools Required
J 46406 Fan Clutch Remover and Installer. See Special Tools.
1. Drain the cooling system. Refer to Draining and Filling Cooling System (LL8) or Draining and Filling Cooling System (LM4).
2. Remove the air cleaner assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Assembly Replacement in Engine Controls 4.2L.
3. Remove the air resonator assembly. Refer to Air Cleaner Outlet Resonator Replacement in Engine Controls 4.2L.
4. Remove the inlet radiator hose. Refer to Radiator Hose Replacement Inlet (LM4) or Radiator Hose Replacement Inlet (LL8).
Fig. 20: Identifying Cooling Fan
Courtesy of GENERAL MOTORS CORP.
5. Remove the transmission oil cooler lines from the fan shroud.
6. Disconnect the fan clutch electrical connector.
7. Using J 46406 remove the fan clutch from the water pump. See Special Tools.
8. Remove the mounting bolts from the upper fan shroud.
9. Lift and push the fan shroud inward to clear the filler neck on the radiator.
10. Remove the fan and the shroud.
1. Install the fan and the shroud.
NOTE: Refer to Fastener Notice in Cautions and Notices.
2. Install the mounting bolts to the upper fan shroud.
Tighten: Tighten the bolts to 28 N.m (21 lb ft).you need a special wrench which is available at auto parts stores to rent. there is a relay for this in the underhood electrical center. it will be marked.
17,932 answers provided