HELLO ,IVE BOUGHT A 05 GL .THE CAR HAS DEVELOPED A STRONG BURNING SMELL FROM THE FRONT OF THE CAR AFTER BEING DRIVEN A SHORT DISTANCE

2005 Hyundai Getz • 65,000 miles

Hello, Ive bought a 05 hyundai getz gl. The car has developed a strong burning smell from the front of the car after being driven a short distance (like engine over heating smell). The engine temp. Gauge on the dash shows mid temp. Reading, Ive checked the water level is o.K, oil level is also o.K. The brake pads are o.K. Its not a plastic burning smell, or electric. How can I check if the water pump is working, Ive started the engine with the radiater cap off and the water level does drop slightly on start up, but then I cannt see if the water is moving. There is no unusual mechanical noises from the engine. There is also a low whistling noise from the rear of the car while the car is running. I thougth it was the exhaust but if you turn the ignition to the ACC position (one click) there is the same whistling sound for 3 seconds, it sounds like a soft alarm. I have not noticed this sound before. Will Appreciate any assistance.
Philip Mallon

Ensure that there is no plastic melted on the the exhaust under the car, check for any minor oil leaks that may be dripping onto the exhaust, start here.

Mhpautos