OVERHEATS PASSENGER COMPARTMENT HEAT BLOWS COLD WHEN IDLING

2005 Honda Civic • 150,000 miles

I have read about the 2005 Honda Civic engine overheating issues. Most people say the same thing: the car first starts to not blow warm air when idling at a stop light but then the heat will kick in once the car starts moving. A scent of antifreeze is noted after exiting the car after driving it then the car overheats. This is what happens with my car. Also turning the heat on causes the car to overheat even more. Some people have replaced the head gasket only to find that the overheating problem begins again after about 800 post-replacement. Also if the temp gauge starts moving towards the hot zone turning on the A/C will cause it to go cool again.

What is the real problem?
Anniebelle

Did you check the coolant level in radiator? Do so when engine is cold, low coolant level would cause overheating and heater non heating issues.

If coolant level is too low, you would need to bleed system after topping up.

Thank you for your reply in explaining why the heat didn't work in the passenger compartment. Yes my mechanic did fill the coolant in the radiator and bled it. I drove for about 150 miles and noticed the coolant leaking into the engine compartment and a strong smell of antifreeze. And oddly when I went to see if the heat worked when the car was idling my engine began to overheat-so said the temperature gauge. I am leaking antifreeze from somewhere-it is headed to the shop again for more diagnostic but the mechanic is thinking head gasket. The tests he will do will confirm.

After doing some Google searches I have found that there is an issue with the 2001-2005 Hondas with head gasket failures. My dilemma is that some of these people replaced the head gasket and then 800 miles later they still had the problem of the the passenger compartment not heating and the overheating issue. I am looking for the root cause as to why it happened in the first place to help me make my decision if I should just not even bother with the head gasket repair and buy a new car.

What would you do?

Anniebelle
You ned to check where the coolant leak is coming from and not jumping the gun by thinking too far ahead.

Hey, don't worry too much about your 05' Civic, if you keep it properly maintained, you shouldn't have to worry about the Overheating issues. The issues of over-heating were more relevant to the earlier civics.

Just like any car if you don't take care of problems promptly, problems become bears to handle.

Your should get someone who really knows about your civic to check it out (Maybe the Dealer even though $$$). If your smelling it (the anti-freeze) then it's most likely externally leaking. Your other issues can be caused by a faulty Thermostat and Heater Core.
Also, if you keep driving it like that long enough, your Head-gasket will Go.

The 2005 Civic is a Fabulous car when taken care of.

Molsoncanadian
Guess question has been answered

Upon further examination it was indeed the head gasket. Honda mechanic concurred.
Yes the 2005 WAS a fabulous car. I bought a new 2013 Honda Civic. Lots of bells and whistles and better yet reliability.

Anniebelle
Too bad.