ENGINE NOISE

2005 Honda Civic Hybrid • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 100,000 miles

I have an engine noise on top of engine sounds like backfire/knocking noise I had engine codes p0300, p0301, p0302 when I disconnect coil pack number 2 the noise goes away
Kimikim

The trouble codes you have are all relating to an engine misfire. My concern is that the sound goes away when you remove power to the #2 coil. Have you removed the spark plug to inspect it?

Yes I remove spark plugs I actually changed them all the ones in cylinder 1 and 2 had carbon deposits on them cylinder 3 and 4 were normal looking I don't know if you know this but theirs 2 spark plugs per cylinder

Kimikim
Hi again: yes, I'm familiar with the design. Listen, if you clear the trouble codes, do the same ones come back? Also, have you checked compression in the #2 cylinder? I question a burnt valve.

I have not done compression check, I'm not sure on the procedure for compression check on hybrid, someone told me I need a special machine. Do you know if this is true?

Kimikim
It's still an internal combustion engine. Here are directions.

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression