HOLDEN COMMODORE IGNITION LOCK PROBLEM

2005 Holden Commodore • 130,000 miles

I replaced my ignition twelve months ago when the old ignition gave up the ghost. A locksmith friend of mine replaced the ignition and keyed it to the same key and it worked briliantly until yesterday when my new ignition lock jammed. I was uable to turn the key to release the steering lock, let alone start the car. My car doesn't get used very often and doesn't do anymore than 10,000kms in a year, yet I am only experiencing this problem in hot weather usually when the car is parked out in the sun. Roadside assistance helped me this time, but at this rate, I will be calling them out on a daily basis during summer. Hardly ideal.

Can you tell me what the problem may be given the lock has been replaced and I rotate to my two keys so that there is even amounts of wear. Is there is something else that I should be looking at? I know the VZ model commodore is renowned for this trouble.

Please help as I am now very reluctant to drive anywhere for fear I will not be able to get home without roadside assistance.