WHAT CAUSES MY CAR TO SPUTTER OUT AND DIE?

2005 Ford Taurus • 90,000 miles

I have a 2005 ford Taurus SE six cylinder. A year ago, due to financial troubles, I could not afford to keep the car's insurance, and I had it parked for a year. Now I am trying to get it running again and not having any luck. The car starts just fine, but after a minute or so of idling, or if I put the car in gear, it dies. While idling, the car sputters horribly, and I think it is backfiring. I have changed the spark plugs and wires, which were causing it to misfire before I parked it. Also replaced the dead battery. Today, we put ten gallons of fresh gas in it with ten oz of sea foam treatment. The car had less than 1/4 tank when we parked it, and the gas was too low for the siphon hose to reach, so we just added the new gas to it. Nothing has worked so far, and I need to move the car to my new home this week. Also, the fuel filter was changed a month before it was parked last year. Please help!
Blong1099

I would begin this diagnosis by checking fuel pressure. You can borrow or rent a fuel pressure gauge from an auto parts store.

Dan_K
I'm not real sure how to do that. Could they show me how?

Blong1099
I'm sure that they could, but it's a fairly simply process. The fuel rail that supplies the fuel injectors with gasoline has a fitting on it that's similar looking to a tire air valve. The fuel pressure gauge connects to it. A good reading will indicate a fuel pressure reading of 26-45psi with the engine running.

Dan_K