CYLINDER HEAD TEMPERATURE SENSOR REPLACEMENT

2005 Ford Focus • 2.0L 4 cylinder FWD Automatic • 325,000 miles

I have a 2005 Ford Focus pzev. I'm trying to replace the cylinder head temperature sensor but I'm having difficulty because it is below the valve cover between spark plug numbers 2 & 3. I can't seem to find a deep wall socket or any ford specific tool to r & r it. The problem is the distance between the 3/4 nut/bolt and the top of the sensor is too great so either the socket is not wide enough to fit around the top of the sensor or bottoms out before getting a bite. Needle nose pliers do not work as well because there is not enough room around the sensor. I really don't want to remove the valve cover because I just replaced the valve cover gaskets not more than 3 months ago. Is there another way or a tool I need to obtain?
Thomsonhate7

I have to be honest, some of these can be a pain. Have you already purchased a new sensor? Does the socket you are using properly fit over it? If it does, check the old sensor to make sure it takes a standard type socket. I know that some sensors are designed in a way that requires a special socket.

I tried asking a couple dealership service depts to no avail. I wound up removing the valve cover anyway. Lucky for me the gaskets were in excellent condition so I reused them. I went ahead and made it an all day event and to the opportunity to check my bearing caps for play along with camshaft lobe integrity and clearances. I guess it's just gonna have to stay a pain. In all likelyhood, at least I won't have to mess with it again.

Thomsonhate7
Sorry you had to go through all that, but I'm glad you got it fixed.

Take care,