CHECK ENGINE CODE P0054

2005 Ford Focus • 176,000 miles

I recently had a P0420 code come up on my car. So I changed out the o2 sensor. After changing that I got a P0054 code so I changed out the other o2 sensor. I can clear out the code and as long as the engine is warm when I clear out the code the code will not come back on. However, When I allow the engine to be shut off for more than 2-3 hours as soon as I get back in and start the car and start to drive the car the check engine light come right back on. The code is always a P0054 HO2S Hearter Resistance Bank 1 Sensor 2. What can I do to fix this?
Lglreaves

The 420 code is a cat code. The cat has failed and will need to be replaced.
With that said, I wonder if you replaced the o2 sensor with a wrong sensor to trigger a heater code. Re check and make sure you have the correct sensor. Did you use an exact replacement or universal?

It was an exact replacement. So if I change the cat will it solve the code?

Lglreaves
The 420 code yes. Not the 54, that was created from you replacing the o2. Thats why I said to verify the correct sensor. Check the fuses too as there is one for the o2 heaters.