AIR CONDITIONER PROBLEM

2005 Ford Focus • 2.0L 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 130,000 miles

Won't blow air out front vents, only blows hot air out dash vents.
Fan works, that's all I know.
Rosiepoo52

It sounds like the vent door actuator isn't working. I believe your vehicle has a vacuum actuated door. Check to see if there are any vacuum leaks. If you lucky, with the engine running, you may hear a slight hissing sound from under the dash.

How much am I looking at for repairs at a repair shop. Just give me a ballpark figure, this is second car and live in TX. Heat is terrible but don't want to pay a fortune. Thank you so much

Rosiepoo52
That's a tough one because it will be based on how long it takes to find exactly what is causing the issue. I have to ask you another question. When you turn the AC on, have you checked to see if the AC compressor is turning on?

By the way. I envy you. I'm in PA and sick of cold weather. Finally, it's starting to get nice and what happens. Rain, rain, and more rain.

I promise this is the last time, but how do u check if compressor
Works? Can u give me the for dummy version. I quess we are never
Satisfied with weather are we.

Thanks,

Rosiepoo

Rosiepoo52
You can ask as many questions as you want. Honestly, I don't mind. The compressor is located under the hood. It is a belt driven accessory. It will turn all the time, but when you turn the AC on, there is a clutch that will engage and turn the inside pulley on the compressor. You will hear it click when it engages.

Have a helper open the hood, start the engine, and then you watch the compressor as well as listen for a clicking sound when the helper turn the AC on and off.

Let me know what you find.

In CASe u didn't get my last one, we finally tried the compressor, my husband was under hood. Said he heard click but wouldn't keep going, just run a few seconds. That don't sound good huh? Let me know what u think. Thanks again.

Rosiepoo

Rosiepoo52
That could be the result of low Freon or a bad cycle switch. I would check Freon first.