FORD FIESTA ELECTRICAL SYSTEM PROBLEM

2005 Ford Fiesta • 150 miles

My dash instruments have a digital fuel and temp gauges.

For a while now the fuel gauge level indication bars (like bars on mobile phone signal strength) appears not to move when it reaches down to a certain level, but then it moves two bars at once.

So for example, the fuel level will gradually go down to about one third left in the tank, that might be 4 bars on the display. Then no movement at all until less than a quarter level is indicated, and I see only 2 bars left.

So it looks like two bars are 'stuck' together, and only when 2-bars-worth of fuel is used do they disappear, instead of the gradual 1 bar getting cleared at a time.

All other electrical systems are fine on the car, and all other dash instrumentation including the temp gauge are fine. Its just the fuel level sticking thing.

Any ideas please? Can the car display/computer be "re-flashed" of its program firmware to cure or similar? Or is it a hard display fault that only a new whole dash instrument will cure?

Thanks for any pointers.

G
Grazzier