DEALER

2005 Ford F-150 • 5.4L V8 4WD Automatic • 73,000 miles

Took my truck to Ford to change plugs. Bottom of plug broke and somehow feel into my engine. Is this something that happens easily or is this their error? I know these plugs break off but I've never heard of the entire broken piece falling into engine. Now they want over 2000 to pull the head to get it out. Just wondering if I have any ground to argue this price
Sweener07

Yes its common enough they actually sell a broken spark plug removal tool that doesnt require removing the head. Its pretty common for that to happen on those engines.

I just read the tools description if the tool is used then the broke plug pieces dont end up inside the engine. Since its so common for the plugs to break they made a tool to deal with that issue.

Yes I know that but the piece that breaks off feel down into my engine. That's what I need to know if it was they're fault.

Sweener07
A SECOND-TENTH OPINION WOULDN'T HURT A THING!

IN FACT, ONE OF MY JEEP PALS CRUNCHED THE CERAMIC BOTTOM OF HIS SPARK PLUG OFF INTO HIS CYLINDER.I HELPED HIM GET THAT PISTON TO THE TOP, THEN USING A PIECE OF VACUUM LINE AND A SHOP VAC, AND SOME COUNTRYBOY FISHIN', WE SUCKED IT TO THE LINE AND PULLED IT OUT. FURTHER COMPARISONS/ INVESTIGATION VERIFIED WE HAD GOTTEN IT ALL

THIS METHOD MAY OR MAY NOT WORK FOR YOU

THESE PICS AT THE BOTTOM ARE OF ME USING A BRAKE LINE TO SUCK OUT MY MAMA'S STOPPED UP CONDENSATE DRAIN IN THE '86 THUNDERBIRD. INSTEAD OF PUSHING THE CRAP BACK INTO THE PAN. NOTICE THE OLE DUCT TAPE TRANSITION FROM THE BIGGER HOSE TO THE SMALLER. THE OTHER PICS ARE OF "WILLY", MY '46 WILLYS GETTING NEW PISTONS

IF YOU FEEL YOU NEED A "ANDY GRIFFITH" TYPE MECHANIC INSTEAD OF THE ONE YOU HAVE,

YOU NEED TO USE A RELIABLE / MORE PERSONAL MECHANIC. FOR YOUR CAR NEEDS. NOT THE SUPER DOOPER OIL CHANGING PLACE

"TO ME", WHEN I NEED A DOCTOR.I GO TO THE DOCTOR. MAYBE NOT TO DR. OZ

.I DON'T GO TO THE GUY WHO WATCHES "DR, OZ" EITHER

THE STEALERSHIP IS ALSO NOT THE "ONLY" QUALIFIED PLACE TO GO TO. MANY LEAVE WITH THAT SHATTERED LOOK, LIKE OLE NED, IN THE MOVIE "DELIVERANCE"

THERE ARE MANY OTHERS WHO ACTUALLY "CARE" ABOUT HOW THEY OPERATE AND THE SERVICE THEY PROUDLY PROVIDE

.'ROUND HERE, $400-$700 MIGHT BE THE PRICE TO CHANGE HEAD GASKETS AT A REPUTABLE SHOP

YOU NEED TO LOCATE "YOUR MAN" AND STICK WITH HIM FOR ANY AND EVERYTHING. OIL CHANGES TO A NEW MOTOR. HERE'S SOME IDEAS ON HOW

LOOKING FOR A DECENT SHOP. NOT A RIP-OFF. GOOD WORK?

PEGGY SUE AND BETTY LOU (YOUR BUDDIES) KINDA MIGHT NOT DO SUCH GOOD RECOMMENDING. AS THEY MOST LIKELY ARE IN THE SAME BOAT AS YOU ARE WHEN IT COMES TO INSPECTING SOMETHING THEY KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!

SO HERE'S A POSSIBLE ROUTE FOR YOU. TAKE IT OR LEAVE IT!

GO TO YOUR POPULAR AUTO PARTS STORES (MORE THAN ONE MIGHT MAKE YOU FEEL BETTER)

ASK TO SPEAK TO THE "COMMERCIAL SALES MANAGER".

MOST LIKELY AS HE HAS MADE IT THRU THE RANKS, HE HAS VISITED MANY OF THE LOCAL SHOPS AND HAS DELIVERED PARTS TO THEM FOR QUITE SOME TIME. JUST FROM SEEING THESE "SMALLER OPERATIONS", HE MOST LIKELY WILL KNOW WHO DOES. GREAT WORK. IN A TIMELY MANNER. EXPLAINS THINGS WELL. MAKES "SOUND AND REASONABLE" RECOMMENDATIONS FOR CARING FOR YOUR CAR. AND POSSIBLY AT WONDERFUL RATES.

YOUR KEY QUESTION TO ASK, JUST BEFORE YOU LEAVE IS: "WOULD YOU SEND YOUR MAMA THERE?"

IF YOU HAPPEN TO TRY ANOTHER STORE. SEE IF THE SAME NAME(S) COME UP

'MEMBER THIS IS AN "JOB INTERVIEW" FOR A "DOCTOR" FOR "YOUR CAR" AND FOR YOUR PAL'S CARS WHEN YOU RECOMMEND THIS GUY TO THEM. DO YOUR HOMEWORK. DON'T JUMP ON THE 1ST ONE.I WOULD TRUST THE COMMERCIAL SALES MANAGER OVER "BETTY SUE'S" WONDERFUL EXPERIENCE AT HER MECHANIC. BETTY SUE AIN'T EXPERIENCED IN THE AUTO FIELD, ALL SHE KNOWS IS WHAT SHE IS "FED", WHEREVER SHE WENT

ONE LAST THING---YOUR OWNERS MANUAL, YOUR INSTRUCTION SHEET FOR YOUR CAR----TELLS YOU TO CHECK YOUR OIL AND COOLANT LEVELS, AT MINIMUM, "ONCE A WEEK". THIS HAS GOT TO BE THE MOST NEGLECTED ORDER THAT VEHICLE OPERATORS DO. ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN IN A WEEK (MUCH LESS LONGER). IF YOU ARE ATTENTIVE, YOU CAN CATCH PROBLEMS BEFORE THEY GET WORSE."LIKE WHY IS MY OIL LOW THIS WEEK?"

I SEE SO MANY PEOPLE WHO HAVE RUINED OR SEVERELY DAMAGED THEIR ENGINE----BECAUSE THESE 2 SIMPLE CHECKS ARE LEFT FOR "THE SUPER DOOPER LUBE MAN" TO DO EVERY 3 MONTHS ON A SCHEDULED OIL CHANGE (THAT'S 12 SATURDAYS THAT SOMETHING BAD COULDA HAPPENED)

I WORK PART TIME AT A PARTS STORE----YOU WOULD NOT BELIEVE HOW MANY PEOPLE BUY 3-4 QUARTS OF OIL, RUSH OUT AND POUR IT IN, THEN RETURN WANTING ONE OF US TO SAY "THAT HARD KNOCK WILL GO AWAY"----OR WANT SOME KINDA "ABRACADABRA" MAGIC JUICE TO MAKE IT "ALL BETTER"!

I DO GET CARRIED AWAY. HUH?

DECENT ANSWER?

DO RETURN TO THIS POST AND LET ME KNOW YOUR OUTCOME OR MORE QUESTIONS

Thats a tough question to answer as far as blame for the broken spark plug then getting in the plug hole. You would think that the ford dealer would be familiar with dealing with there broken plugs. They could argue that its not there fault the plug broke and got in the plug hole. Why were they changing the plugs to begin with.