5.4 3V DRIVERSIDE TICKING, LOSS OF POWER, CYLINDER 5 AND 6 MISSFIRE

2005 Ford F-150 • 19,000 miles

05 f150 5.4 3v with 190,000 miles, loss of power, undriveable, very distinct ticking from drivers side that increases with rpm's, showing cylinder 5 and 6 missfire, also showing a force idle code, new plugs, coil packs and injectors, cleaned maf and replaced tps, any suggestions
Usmp1989

If you are hearing a ticking, check lifters to those cylinders. Also, check engine compression. You could have broken valve springs.

Thats the answer I was afraid of, thanks, it doesnt have lifters I dnt think, ohc, but I was thinking broken valve spring, so my two options are new engine (very expensive) or try to replace the spring, any tips on that or how hard it is to do

Usmp1989
Actually, the valve spring replacement isn't too bad if you have the right tools. Basically, you need a good compressor a spring compressor (good eyes so you don't lose the retainers) and the new parts. The compressor is attached to the spark plug hole. When compressed air is added to the cylinder, it will hold the valves closed. At that point, using the spring compressor, you can take the retainers off, remove the spring, and replace it.

I would suggest fixing it if the engine was running good before this. A new engine is very expensive and the labor will kill you. Remove the valve cover and take a look. Also, do you know if you have the 3 or 4 valve 5.4L?

The reason I asked about the number of valves is due to so serious problems removing plugs on the 4 valve set up. Usually the threads come out with the spark plug.

Yea its the 3 valve, and I apreciate the steps and tips

Usmp1989
Glad to help.