4X4 WITH 4R75E. AT 47 MPH THE TRANS CHATTERS WHEN SHIFTING INTO OD. ALSO, DASH DISPLAYED " REDUCED ENGINE POWER" AND THE TEMP GAUGE WENT FROM NORMAL TO IMMEDIATE PEAK. STOPPED AND PLACE IN PARK. TURNED OFF, MADE A CALL THEN RESTARTED AND T

2005 Ford F-150 • 125,000 miles

More detailed history. December 2010 the trans would chatter at 47 mph while shifting into OD. This would happen at different times. Took to Ford garage. No codes and no drive issues noted. When temperatures dropped the chatter came back and suddenly stopped shifting into OD. A friend is ASE Ford mechanic and has been building all types of trans for 35 years. He removed trans and disassembled. I was there. What a mess. Sun shell, planetary, and TC all melted down. He rebuilt with heavy duty off road competition kit. New everything including new case and new updated valve body. Anyway, after system relearned the trans shifted ok. Now, the weather is cold again and the chatter has started again. Also, the dash beeped and the display showed " Reduce engine power " and the temp gauge peaked to max. I immediately pulled over in town, parked and shutoff. Made a five minute call and started the engine again. The display had cleared and the temp gauge had returned to normal. Drove it home and parked it. Please help. What is going on. My friend is in his late sixties and is asking for help. No codes displayed and again shows no drive conditions noted. He is retiring soon, but, wants to help me. He is puzzled and is asking for help.
FATHERSTJOHN

Reduced engine power means the system is in limp mode you should have codes to read. The trans is still working so drive until it messes up again.

Fixitmr
Are you sure it isn't a coil pack(maybe more than 1) going bad. Symptoms are very similar to tranny chatter, but actually it's the engine missing. Happened to me and also a buddy of mine. Coil packs won't usually show a code until they get really bad. Didn't for us anyway.

Obent
Bad coil will set P0300 for general misfires try unplugging the MAC sensor and test drive it. MAF's sometimes don't set codes right away.

Merlin2021
That's unplug MAF. D a m n e d android changes words, gotta watch it every minute!

Merlin2021
Which android? You know the c and f keys arn't that far apart!

Fixitmr