FUEL SYSTEM

2005 Dodge Ram • 102,000 miles

For a while now I have had codes for small/large leak detected in the EVAP system but no issues as far as mileage. Now I am starting to smell fuel vapors when I get out of the truck. It comes from the space between the bed and cab and also I can smell it if I stick my head near the rear wheel wells. The mechanic I recently talked to said the fuel smell is a separate issue from the EVAP codes and that there is a fuel leak somewhere. I'm taking it in to get checked out next Friday but was wondering if you guys could offer some insight as to what the problem/s may be and relative cost.
91 whiskey

You may have a fuel line coupler that is leaking along the rail of the frame. There is a vacuum leak detection sensor at the spot right between the bed and cab. You can start the truck and on the passenger side around the same location look under and see if there is a visible leak.

Seangrant00
Thanks I'll do that. Also I'm not seeing any actual fuel leakage on the ground. Just vapor smells. Any other thoughts or suggestions? Also if that is the cause will fixing that alleviate the EVAP issues?

91 whiskey
The EVAP system is designed to eliminate fuel vapor going into the atmosphere. So in short, yes when the leak is found, the issue with the EVAP should be fixed.

Seangrant00
Amazing. You obviously have a fuel leak because you can smell it, the Engine Computer detected that the leak detection pump can't build pressure in the fuel vapor recovery system because there's a leak, and the mechanic says they're not related. So a leak is not related to a leak. Hmmm.

On a vehicle this new rotted hoses and rusted clamps shouldn't be a problem yet but a clamp can work loose or a hose can become disconnected. If the source of the leak can't be found visually, white non-toxic smoke can be injected at 2 psi from a "smoke machine", then you watch for where it sneaks out. Many evaporative emissions system leaks are next to impossible to locate without a smoke machine.

Keep in mind too that you're smelling the vapor. That does not require there be a leak that leaves a wet spot anywhere.

Well didn't say not related now that I think about it. Said if it's just the codes but nothing else not work fixing but if you can smell fuel that's different.

91 whiskey