PT CRUSIER WITH AC PROBLEM

2005 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 4 cylinder Automatic • 55,000 miles

I have a friend who has a 2005 PT Cruiser Turbo. She heard a loud bangand her AC quit cooling. I believe the banging she heard was the AC pressure relief valve releasing. She took it to a local shop and they replaced the fan and recharged the system. It worked fine for a day and then the pressure relief valve popped and it is not cooling again. Her mechanic said that the presure relief valve may be bad? Could there be a small leak in the AC line as well that would cause the valve to release or would that be noticed when charging the system?
Any help would be appreciated as this is getting expensive while he keeps changing parts. BTW, all the fuses and relays check out ok and the compressor is working fine.
LSchwa