HOW CAN I TELL IF THE COMPRESSOR IS ENGAGED IN MY 2.7 LITER ENGINE?

2005 Chrysler 300 • 80,000 miles

The car's AC is not working at all. I am preparing to inject refrigeration but want to be sure that the compressor is engaged before I do that. I'm not sure how I tell that the compressor is engaged.

Thanks.
Bob Barry

If front of clutch called the shoe is turning also should here audible click and change in RPM when it engages. Note I make a lot of $ off thoes recharge kits

Docfixit
Thanks. I hear the RPM change but no click. Where exactly am I looking to check this clutch shoe you mention?

Bob Barry
Front of AC comp pully

Docfixit
MOST LIKELY, IF YOU ARE LOW ON GAS, THE CLUTCH WILL NOT ENGAGE...IT WILL JUST SIT STILL IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PULLEY...THE PULLEY WILL STILL TURN. WITH THE CLUTCH NOT TURNING....THE COMPRESSOR IS NOT TURNING EITHER

UNTIL YOU HAVE PUT IN ENOUGH GAS, THE LOW PRESSURE SWITCH WILL REMAIN "OPEN". WHEN IT SENSES "ENOUGH" PRESSURE (ADDING GAS), IT WILL "MAKE" AND ALLOW POWER TO GO TO THE CLUTCH SO IT WILL TURN ON AND OPERATE

SEE THE VIDEO RIGHT BELOW THE CAN OF R-134 IN THIS LINK--THE "TOP" W/ GAUGE IS RE-USABLE WITH SMALLER FREON CANS SHOULD YOU NEED TO DO THIS LATER OR ON ANOTHER VEHICLE

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_A-C-Pro-Professional-Formula-Refrigerant-with-Gauge-and-Hose-(20-oz-)-AC-Pro_10034602-P_N3571B_T%7CGRP2004A_____

SOME PEOPLE SORTA WANT YOU TO SEEK OUT A SHOP TO DO THIS KINDA PROCEDURE....I HAVE CHARGED MANY THIS WAY.....I ONLY HOPE THAT THE LEAK IS VERY MINOR AND THE CHARGE I INSTALL WILL AT LEAST LAST THRU THE SUMMER (USUALLY, YES, THERE IS A LEAK, OTHERWISE I WOULDN'T HAVE TO PUT GAS IN) .

MYSELF, I ONLY GO TO A SHOP IF THINGS DON'T WORK OUT, AFTER I HAVE DONE ALL I CAN

LET US KNOW HOW IT GOES

I MEANT TO THROW THIS IN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kp8pXmlFq_w

THIS MAY NOT LOOK EXACTLY LIKE YOURS, I FEEL YOUR IS SIMILAR AND MAY BE BURIED UNDER THE HOOD---IT SHOULD WORK THE SAME WAY

BE CAREFUL OF THOSE PESKY MOVING ENGINE PARTS WHILE YOU LOOK FOR IT