CHRYSLER 300 BRAKE PEDAL PROBLEM

2005 Chrysler 300

This morning I discoverd the the gear selector of my Chrysler will not go from park to reverse or drive. The car has 73,000 miles on it. I have no ideal as to what the problem could be, can you give some input on this issues

culbant
Culbant

Hello –

Possible the Transmission Range Sensor but most likely the Brake light Switch located under the dash. This switch does several things.

The stop lamp switch is located under the instrument panel at the brake pedal arm. This switch contains three internal switches controlling various functions of the vehicle, one of them controls operation of the vehicle s brake lamps. Other functions of the internal switches include speed control deactivation and brake sense for the ABS and the brake transmission shift interlock.

The stop lamp switch has three internal switches used for various functions. Among these are: • Brake lamp actuation
• Speed control deactivation, and
• Brake sense for ABS and brake transmission shift interlock

Are your brake lights working okay or do you have any codes or ABS light

If you would so I can double check, please let me know if you have just the 300, 300 C, 300 Limited, 300 Touring or is it the 300 SRT-8. Also, what is your engine size in liter and what is the 8th digit of your VIN…. Is it R, G or H?

Please let us know if what the final fix was for your car so we can better assist others. Thanks!

ImpalaSS
Ok my brake lights are working fine with the engine on or off. My engine size is 3.5 L 6 cylinder. The vin number is 2C3JA53G95H604029
mY VEHECLE IS A CHRYSLER 300 TOURING YEAR 2005. NO CODES OR abs LIGHT

Culbant
Hello –

Thanks for the info……….

I would go for the most likely which is the brake switch…. Here is the info on how to check it out.

It is located on the left side of the passenger compartment at base of brake pedal.

I gave you removal, installation, adjustment and check out of the switch. It may just be a little out of adjustment or loose. I would check that first. If that is no good then remove and do the electrical check out.

REMOVAL
1. Depress and hold the brake pedal.
2. Remove the stop lamp switch (2) from it s bracket on the brake pedal assembly (6). To do so, rotate the stop lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from it s mounting bracket.
3. Disconnect the wiring harness connector (1) from the switch.
INSTALLATION

NOTE: Prior to installing the stop lamp switch into it s bracket, the plunger must be moved to its fully extended position using the procedure described in Step 1.
1. Hold the stop lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
2. Connect the wiring harness connector (1) to the stop lamp switch (2).
3. Mount the stop lamp switch into the bracket on the brake pedal assembly (6) as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in it s bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket. Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30 degree to lock the switch into the bracket.
CAUTION: Do not use excessive force when pulling back on the brake pedal to adjust the stop lamp switch. If to much force is used, damage to the stop lamp switch or striker can result.
4. Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
5. Check for proper operation of the brake lamps and speed control

Adjustment

1. Depress and hold the brake pedal.
2. Remove the stop switch from it s bracket. To do so, rotate the stop lamp switch in a counterclockwise direction approximately 30 degrees from its proper mounting position. Pull the switch rearward and remove it from it s mounting bracket.
3. Hold the stop lamp switch firmly in one hand. Using your other hand, pull outward on the plunger of the switch until it has ratcheted out to its fully extended position.
4. Mount the stop lamp switch into the bracket as follows: Depress the brake pedal as far down as possible. Install the switch in it s bracket by aligning the index key on switch with the notch in the square mounting hole of the mounting bracket. Once the switch is fully seated, rotate the switch clockwise approximately 30 degree to lock the switch into the bracket.
5. Gently pull back on brake pedal until the pedal stops moving. This will cause the switch plunger to ratchet backward to the correct position.
6. Check for proper operation of the brake lamps and speed control.

Since the pics don’t come under the steps……pic 1 goes under step 1 and pic 2 goes under step 2 and applies to steps 3 and 4.

Check out Switch
NOTE: Before proceeding with this diagnostic test, verify the adjustment of the stop lamp switch to rule out misadjustment.

If the electrical circuit has been tested and the stop lamp switch is suspected of being faulty, it can be tested using the following method.
1. Remove the switch from the vehicle.
2. With the switch in the released position (plunger extended), use an ohmmeter to test each of the three internal switches as shown. You should achieve the results as indicated in the figure.
3. Gently push the plunger on the stop lamp switch in until it stops.
4. With the switch in the depressed position (plunger pushed in), use an ohmmeter to test each of the three internal switches as shown. You should achieve the results as indicated in the figure. If you do not achieve the results as indicated in both figures, the switch is faulty and must be replaced.
5. Install the switch in the vehicle.

ImpalaSS
Hello –

Also, it looks like you may have some recalls on your vehicle. The dealer may fix these for free. Please contact the dealer service department, give them the VIN number of your car and have them check on these to see if they apply to you.

D36
12/01/2004
Campaign - Inaccurate Instrument Cluster Readings

D50
11/01/2004
Campaign - Radiator Isolator Bracket Replacement

D51
11/01/2004
Campaign - Low Coolant Concentration Level

D27
06/01/2004
Campaign - Incorrect Tire and Loading Information Label

E14
11/01/2005
Recall - A/T Parking Pawl Cup Plug Defect

NHTSA05V460000
10/04/2005
Recall 05V460000: A/T Parking Pawl Shaft Anchoring

NHTSA04V334000
07/02/2004
Recall 04V334000: Battery Cable Stud Torque

NHTSA04V333000
07/02/2004
Recall 04V333000: Rear Floor Pan Reinforcement

NHTSA04V335000
07/02/2004
Recall 04V335000: Seat Belt Turning Loop Bolt Torque

D28
07/01/2004
Recall - Bulkhead Battery Cable Stud Torque Inspection

D21
07/01/2004
Recall - Rear Floor Pan Reinforcement

D30
07/01/2004
Recall - Shoulder Belt Turning Loop Bolt Torque

ImpalaSS