CHEVY CLASSIC, TRANSMISSION SUDDENLY LOSES DRIVE BUT HAS REVERSE

2005 Chevrolet Malibu • 70,000 miles

Was driving fine. Stopped at red light, had no drive afterwards. Only reverse
Cindalewis

Make sure the trans fluid is clean and full. If the check engine light is on, scan the computer for trouble codes. If none, you need to check trans fluid pressure.

What about the solenoid or sensor?

Cindalewis
If the check engine light is on, yes.

The light isn't on. The car never showed any signs of tranny problems. It was driving fine, we stopped at a red light, it turned green and the car wouldn't go. Park, reverse and neutral are all fine, but when you get past that neutral, you can see it go into gear but it does nothing.

Cindalewis
If the fluid is full and clean, it sounds like it could be an internal problem with pressure. Reverse gets full pressure. Drive doesn't and is regulated through the throttle body.

So what do we do? Could the pressure be the problem if it happened so quickly?

Cindalewis
Yes, it could. You need to have it tested. The reason I am leaning this way is because there are no warning lights that would indicate an electrical issue. I wish I had a better answer for you.

Do u know a way we can test it at home. We don't have the money to have it towed anywhere to be tested and were going to try to fix it at home.

Cindalewis
You need special tools. Let me see if I can get recommendations from another tech that is really good with GM vehicles. Give him a little time to get with you.

Thank you very much.

Cindalewis
Page 1 of 3