WHAT IS WRONG WITH MY TRANSMISSION AND CAN I FIX IT?

2005 Chevrolet Colorado • 97,000 miles

My transmission in my 2005 Chevrolet Colorado wont shift out of park. Everything on the outside of the transmission moves and the dash indicates it is in another gear but seems when I push the gas like the parking break is on. But while the shift lever is in park the engine will rev to red line. Also there was only on trouble code for a front O2 sensor. What is wrong with my transmission and how can I fix it?
Tacpuddin

Have a trans guy look at this I doubt it's the shift interlock form what you say, it can be a fuse or relay underhood so check that, but I tmay be an internal problem like a regulator/solenoid or even a seal or clutch going bad

Is there anything I can hope to find out by draining and removing the transmission pan myself?

Tacpuddin
If you do that all that you could find is large pieces of cluth material or large pieces of thrst bearing material. Finding like grindings of bras/bronze is normal. If fluid is burnt or brown it may help if it's brown but if it's burnt or black the trasn is toast.