OVERHEATING

2005 Chevrolet Aveo • 124,000 miles

I commute with this car about 80 miles a day. Lately it's been trying to overheat. Sometimes successfully. It has a new water pump which I replaced recently when I did the timing belt kit. It also has a new thermostat and housing/outlet. The system has been flushed and refilled with dex-cool antifreeze/coolant. After all that the car still wants to overheat, but only when doing freeway speeds or going up a hill ect. Basically when the engine is reving or turning more then 2000/2500 rpms. I have to keep the heater going full blast and sumtimes that isn't even enough to keep it cool. I now have the radiator out of the car and I flushed it out with the garden hose. It doesn't seem to be clogged. The tubes that I'm able to see( only a few) don't look clogged. Should I replace the radiator anyways? Or try reinstalling it and see if it helped? Or do you think it could be a clogged cat converter? I appreciate any help. Thanks in advance. Eric
Ericbwest

Symptom indicates inefficient cooling and with the aid of the heater, you are able to control the overheating, that points to a clogged radiator as the most likely cause since the thermostat is new.

If you were able to see a little clogging at the few tubes, there could be more for those you can't see.

Ok I thought would go ahead and replace just so all the based are covered. So I'll replace it and see if that solves the problem. Thanks again

Ericbwest
You're welcome.

Good luck.