BRAKES DRAGGING

2005 Chevrolet Avalanche • 78,000 miles

Occasionally my brakes drag after slowing or stopping. They release when I press the peddle again. They don't pull either direction. I'm sure the fronts are dragging, but I'm not sure about the rears. The peddle returns so it does not seem to be hanging up. The dealer couldn't find a problem. I'm thinking of doing a brake system flush to rid it of any contamination, but I hate to buy he fluid again if there is another problem. What is your advice on how to proceed?

Don
Dbachman

Raise the front wheels and remove the tires. Apply the brakes as you would if you were driving down the road. Check the wheels to see which one is hard to spin (hanging up/dragging). Often the caliper clyinder will get corrosion inside of it and cause the piston to stick. Finding the dragging wheel is the first step in the diagnosis. If one is sticking, have them both rebuilt or replaced.

Freemba
Thanks freemba. Like I said it happens only occasionally, so it could a number of trys before I get it to drag intentionally. Anticipating that it could be both sides that drag, what would be the next step?

Don

Dbachman
If either or both sides drag, you will the need to have the calipers rebuilt or replaced. This happens because of corrosion in the caliper piston chamber/bore which causes then to retract slowly or to stay out which keep the pads engaged with the rotor, thus causing the drag.
It could also be caused by a damaged caliper piston seal (which still requires the caliper to be rebuilt or replaced). The seal inside of the caliper and prevents brake fl
fuid from leaking and it also retracts the piston once the brake pedal is released.

If you happen to be driving near home {or a place where you can raise up the truck}and it starts to drag, simply raise the front tires ant spin them by hand. If one is noticably harder to spin the other, that's your dragging wheel (keep in mind that it should be very hard for you to turn by hand-since you can feel it as you drive and the engine produces much more power than you can when turning the wheel by hand).

Freemba