P0496 CODE....

2005 Cadillac CTS • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic •

My cts has a P0496 code and the explanation reads The ECM has detected pressure in the EVAP system during a non-purge condition. Probable cause Purge or vent solenoid failure, plugged EVAP canister condition, or Failed EVAP pressure sensor. How would I exactly be able to find which of these is the cause and what would be needed to correct the matter, would this be a fix that needs to go to dealer or is a fairly simple job to fix?
Rickysh11

It all really depends on what the actual problem is the first thing I would suspect is possibly a stuck canister purge solenoid in the open position. It should be always closed unless being commanded open by the computer. Take the line off and see if you blow thru the solenoid.

Ok, this is the part that is located on the engine right, and not the one that is near the gas tank?

Rickysh11
The one near the gas tank is the vent valve the one on the engine is the canister purge solenoid.