WATER ON DRIVERSIDE FLOOR

2004 Volvo XC90 • 115,000 miles

Just had new engine put in, and same night a large amount of water is on floor. Took back to garage and they checked the AC hose but no blockage. Where could this water be coming from
Meandjc

Are you sure it is water and not engine coolant?

Yes it is water and a large amount. I can hear it flowing but I do not know from where.

Meandjc
The only thing under the dash is the AC that would create water. It has to be coming from there. If it was coolant, it could be coming from the heater core.

I haven't been using the Ac due to the weather, I have been using the heater. I have never had an issue before only after I got it from the shop, was this cause by the auto shop? They claim they cannot find where its leaking from, I would say its pouring from somewhere not leaking.

Meandjc
You see, if it is just water, there isn't anything that holds that much water under the dash other than the heater core. The ac produces condensation, but not in the amount you have described. If it is truly just water, it makes no sense because nothing holds that much. However, if it is pouring out like you described, they should be able to find it. To add, since it started after the work, I feel they should try to find the problem. Tell me, have you checked the coolant level to make sure it isn't low?

Yes the coolant level is fine. The water is not noticeable when I first get into it to drive, but while I'm driving it accumulates on the floor, to the point that my pant legs are wet. I'm really afraid that its going to short circuit something and cause more damage, then It bothers me that someplace under my hood something is missing water and that can't be good. However the guy said he spent all day looking for the cause and cannot find it. I am spending time on the internet trying to find an answer. I am a female and I have no idea what to do.

Meandjc
I have to be honest with you. There is nothing under the hood or the dash that holds water. That is the part that has me so confused. Everything under the hood is either oil, a specific fluid, fuel, coolant. No water. Under the dash, the only thing that produces water through condensation is the AC, and you're not using it. So if it is water, I would think you would only see it when it rains or after washing the vehicle.

Has it been raining or the vehicle sat outside for a long time in the rain? If it has then I would suspect a plugged up sunroof drain at the A-Pillars. Remove the A-Pillars to inspect. If they are plugged up then replace the drain grommets and the hoses. Good luck to you and keep us posted please.

JIS001
I had the same issue on mine. Shop wanted to charge on arm and leg to figure out. I told them to check the sunroof drain plug. It was indeed clogged and unclogging fixed it.

Wardogg101
Had a similar problem with my wife's 2004 xc90 dealer wanted $1700 to fix the problem. Problem was found on a Volvo forum with instructions on how to fix it. Did it myself.

Gtposse