THE T-BELT LIGHT ON MY DESBOARD GOES ON. I DRIVE A LEGEND 35

2004 Toyota Other

The t-belt light on my desboard goes on. I drive a legend 35 toyota
Wange

I've never seen that specifically and I don't know if it means the timing belt has jumped a tooth or if it was just triggered by the mileage on the car. I would ask at the dealership if that just means it's time for the recommended replacement interval. You didn't list which engine you have so I don't know if it's an interference engine or not, but if it is, the repair for bent valves if the timing belt breaks is REAL expensive. Having the belt replaced before that happens is somewhat expensive but it's a whole lot less expensive doing it now as a maintenance item instead of a valve repair.

That is the timing belt indicator and most vehicles are set to come on at every 150,000 km or equivalent and you need to reset it even if you have replaced the timng belt. There are a few variants, some needs to be reset manually by removing the meter to change the location of a plug to divert the indicator circuit. Another requires a svrew to be removed and reistalled on another location.

One type has a reset button inside the meter cluster and you need a toothpick to push the reset button.

The newer models usually can be reset by using the reset button but these also have a few variants.

Thank you KHLow2008. Would you agree replacement of the timing belt soon is a good idea?

You're welcome.

That would depend on if the timing belt had been replaced before. If not, then I agree it should be replaced asap.

Happy Holidays.