I HAVE A , WITH SHIM UNDER BUCKET VALVES, AND 76000 MILES.TWO MECHANICS TOLD ME THAT THEY CHECK VALVE CLEARANCE BY "LISTENING WITH A STETHOSCOPE".IS THIS AN ACCEPTABLE WAY TO VALVE CLEARANCES?THE DEALER'S SERVICE ADVISER TOLD ME

2004 Toyota Corolla • 76,000 miles

Never had a valve adjustment, runs fine.
Bcpryor

The reason for checking and adjusting those valves is for maintance. You have them checked and adjusted to prevent issues like burnt or damaged valves from being the incorrect adjustment.

Thanks, but does not answer the question.
The dealer told me the Minimum charge to check and adjust is $1000.00!
Do I need to pay this exorbitant price when they may just listen with a tube and nothing else?

Bcpryor
I have never heard of listening to a valve clearance before. What is your zip code so I can see what the prices are running for valve adjustments?

For a "shim under bucket" adjustment, clearances are measured, written down and compared with specification. Camshafts must then be removed, and the correct shims installed to arrive at the correct clearances, re install cams, and recheck clearances. $1000.00 is in the ballpark for this job. What I am trying to find out is on this model, do they really have to do all of that. As I stated, two toyota mechanics have said that they ONLY tear down and adjust if noise is present. The real question is do these valves get noisy when they need adjustment, or not?

Bcpryor
If they got too loose of a clearance yes they would get noisey. If they were too tight they wouldnt.