2004 Saturn Vue Repair Question
I was driving it yesterday and I had to let off the throttle because it started to rev up in rpms like the clutches were slipping, then the check engine light came on. I scaned it with my Genisys computer and it came up with p1888 code.
Any help would be appressiated in what step to take to find this problem.
I tried to search the web and there isn't anything to help with this code on the saturn vue.
There is the code description and trouble tree for your code let me know what you find.
The transmission control module (TCM) uses the torque converter clutch (TCC) enable solenoid valve to hydraulically select whether the TCC pressure control solenoid valve will control the fluid pressure to apply the forward and reverse clutches or the fluid pressure to apply the torque converter clutch. The TCC enable solenoid valve is attached to the control valve assembly. The TCM compares engine and transmission inputs to determine if the solenoid should be enabled. The TCM then enables the solenoid by providing a ground. The TCM monitors the status of the low control circuit and can detect a short to power or a short to ground/open.
When the TCM detects an open or short to ground, DTC 1888 sets. DTC P1888 is a type A DTC.
Conditions for Running the DTC:
* The engine speed is greater than 500 RPM for 5 seconds.
* The TCC enable solenoid valve high side driver is enabled.
* The TCC enable solenoid valve is disabled.
Conditions for Setting the DTC:
The TCM detects an open, or a short to ground for 0.36 seconds
Action Taken When the DTC Sets
* The TCM requests the ECM to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) .
* The TCM limits the commanded speed ratio to 1.6 or less.
* The TCM inhibits TCC engagement.
* The TCM turns the power off to the TCC enable solenoid valve. This results in no TCC engagement.
* The TCM no longer inhibits shifting between REVERSE and DRIVE when moving.
* The TCM commands maximum pressure to the input clutch.
* The TCM freezes garage shift transmission adaptive functions.
* The TCM freezes torque converter clutch (TCC) transmission adaptive functions.
* The ECM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The ECM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
* The TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The TCM stores this information as Failure Records.
* The TCM stores DTC P1888 in TCM history.
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC
* The ECM turns OFF the MIL after the third consecutive drive trip in which the TCM does not send a MIL illumination request.
* A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
* The TCM clears the DTC from TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission-related diagnostic fault occurring.
* The TCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the TCM.
* Inspect the connectors at the TCM, the transmission, and all other circuit connecting points for an intermittent condition.
* Inspect the circuit wiring for an intermittent condition.
would this cause my saturn vue to idle rough and stall sometimes
If the tcc wasn't working correctly that could cause the engine to stall yes.Also as far the rough idle is it only rough at idle?
Yes it is only rough at idle when it is warm. When it is cold it idles great.
Could be a vacuum leak causing the rough idle so the rpms are jumping around at idle it's not just a vibration?I would work on the transmission code first.
I put new clutches and forward and reverse pistons in it about 3 weeks ago.
I bought the car 4 weeks ago and it quit moving forward the day I bought it.
My question is if the tcc solenoid is bad would this be the reason my forward clutch pack was bad?
I checked the line pressure while driving and it was good untill I kicked it down and the fluid pressure droped untill I let off the gas enough for it to quit slipping.
I am new to this transmission but I have rebuilt a few others so consider me a learner.
If the transmission was slipping then the belt pulleys etc is most likely damaged it's hard to see the damage.When the transmission first came out saturn was having us replace the whole transmission then they had us repair it like belt etc then they just had us replace the side cover which contains the belt input output shaft belt clutches etc.The clutches going bad is usually caused by a bad valve body or a bad pump in the transmission.Not the tcc so you only checked the running transmission pressure?Sound's like you have a pressure issue since you said the pressure dropped and the clutches were slipping.The tcc doesn't control the pressure for the forward or reverse clutches.I have seen more valve body issues then pump issues with the pressure.So how much transmission pressure were you getting when you checked it?To check it right you need a tech2 scan tool with the correct software.
I don't know if the clutches were slipping it just felt like it
when you kick it down it just sounds like it revs up and don't pull hard untill you start letting off the throttle alittle.
Are you saying my Genisys computer won't read the pressure right?
I have never drove a cvt trans before so I don't know the exact fell and sound it should have.
But it don't fell right to me.
You have to use a special transmission pressure tester that reads really high in the pressure port on the transmission then you use the tech2 scanner to command the line pressure solenoid to different values and see if the pressure is within the right pressure.That transmission is a piece of junk i remember when i went to factory training for the vue and saw the transmission for the first time and i knew it was going to be trouble.Very common for the side cover to fail i have replaced valve body's and pumps.If you make a repair inside the transmission side cover etc you have to do a pressure test.Otherwise you could have to the same repair twice and fix what caused the part you replaced in the first place.It's really hard to diagnose a pressure issue without that pressure gauge and a tech2.
I just hooked the scanner up and took it for a drive and I just got 2 more codes but the p1888 code is gone.
The new codes are P0717 and P0701