FUEL PUMP

2004 Saturn L300 • 6 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 1,026,540 miles

Have a 2004 Saturn L300 V6.
Was driving and it stalled and will not start.
No warning was apparent.
Sounds like it is not geting fuel.
Checked Fuel Pump Fuse 15A. (Good)
Checked Fuel Pump Relay. (Clicks)
Listened for Fuel Pump operation. (Quiet)
Tried listening at Fuel Fill Pipe. (Quiet)
Is there anything else I can check or tey before having Fuel Pump replaced?

Also SES light came on just prior to above issue.
What are the odds they are related?

Mmccormick

The odds are really good that your ses light is related to your stalling I would first see what code number's you have. Rent a code reader and let me know the exact code number's you have. You could have a bad crank shaft position sensor.I would also get a fuel pressure gauge and check your fuel pressure. Let me know what you find.

What is the going rate for having a Crank Shaft Position Sensor replaced?

Mmccormick
You could do it yourself there not hard to change it's right next to your oil filter housing then you just follow the wire up to the engine compartment to unplug it. The only tool's you really need is a razor blade to cut the zip tie and a reverse torx socket to remove the sensor. Labor to change it is.4hrs time's shop labor rate 80-100?The sensor is about 100 you could shop around and see if you could find it cheaper. But before you did that I would do what I asked first and let's go from there.

Hey if you have a multimeter and the car won't start for a long enough time we can test that crankshaft sensor.

Yes I have A DVM (Fluke 87)
I will double check the fuse, Relay and Pump tonight.
I can check with my DVM if you give the steps to follow.

As it stands the car sounds like it fires 1 maybe two cylinders then does not catch for the rest. Then just turns over so to me that ment no fuel being supplied.

Mmccormick
If you really think it's the pump try this get a dead blow hammer turn it sideways and while someone is crank it to start the car smack the center of the gas tank and see if it start's. Two tip's make sure the car doesn't start before you try this. Also don't get carried with the smacking. If it start's bad pump. Let me know what you find. Also I will get you the info on testing the crankshaft sensor. Also see if you can check for code's.

OK when you say Smack the center you are talking from the underside of car correct?

Mmccormick
Yes iam sorry that would be the underside of the car let me know what happens.

Rechecked Fuel Fuse, Good. Swaped Fuel relay with Wiper Relay, Wipers still work.
Could not locate a deadblow hammer. So I couldnt try the Wacking the Fuel tank. I will keep you posted.

Mmccormick
If you have a ball pen hammer not a claw hammer try that just be careful. Have you checked for code's or the fuel pressure yet?At auto zone auto part's they rent fuel pressure gauge's and possibly a code scanner. There free to rent you just have to leave a deposit for the tool which you get back when you return the tool.

Page 1 of 3