THE CAR HAS BEEN MAKING A CLUNKING SOUND WHEN GOING OVER BUMPS & TURNING...MORE NOTICEABLE WHEN COLD OR WET WEATHER.

2004 Saturn Ion • 63,000 miles

I have had the struts/cv joint checked. I am being told that the Steering Assist could be the problem (told by Firestone). The dealer has agreed to change the part, but cautions may not clear problem. Is this true?
Jmasaturn

The most common reason for that to happen is from bad sway bar bracket bushings theres even a bulletin for it.I have replaced tons of them for that reason. Also whats the last 8 digits of your vin?The 2003 and early built 04 ions need the sway bar brackets changed with the bushings. So when they say steering assit are they talking about the steering motor?Also do you have the quad coupe or sedan?

The dealer said it was catalytic converter, fortunately still under warranty. The car was good for a few days, now hearing the clunking noise again, not as bad as before. They also replaced the steering assist motor. I drive the ION-3 Quad Coupe. 4Z156112

Jmasaturn
If your not moving and rock the steering wheel left to right can you hear the noise?