I HAD THE WATER PUMP CHANGED NOW IT MAKING A ANNOYING WHINING NOISE THAT IS COMING FROM THE AREA. TOOK IT IN FOR ANOTHER WATER PUMP STILL MAKING NOISE

2004 SAAB 9-3 • 153,000 miles

I took it in for a water pump job because it originally broke. When I got it back it was making a annoying whining noise that is steady with the r.P.M.I took it back for another water pump change I got it back and it is still making the whining noise only this time its a louder tone.
ThomO

If its not doing that before the WP replacement-you need to have them fix it properly once and for all-

No kidding any idea what it could b because its not the water pump its self

ThomO
Could be the belt tension loose, tensioner or driven components such AC compressor, PS pump and alternator-

Considering u don't have to touch the serpentine belt for the water pump exchange I'm doubting that it's any of those also it's coming from behind the motor where the water pump is located I'm hearing that the timing chain may b too tight or need to readjusted that this may be causing the whining

ThomO
Could be the timing chain, won't hurt to open it up and investigate

Man u guys r really zero help u can't call ur self a expert if ur just saying common sense things or just repeating what I say. No shit I need to get them to fix it mr expert and I kno it is the timing chain. I paid for a suggestion on what I should do

ThomO
The image attached shows that the serpentine belt must be removed to remove the water pump. Not being able to touch or hear the problem makes diagnosing it a little difficult. What our reference doesn't show is any involvement with the timing assembly when replacing the water pump.

Rivermikerat
No it doesn't the water pump on a 04 Saab 93 turbo is located at the back of the motor the timing chain runs through it and must b readjusted after the water pump replace I have contacted a actual Saab tech and got my real answer the serpentine belt runs the alternator and ac also the is a belt tensioner and the maine harmonic balencer as shown on ur picture look closer at ur picture. Thanks for ur try but ur wrong

ThomO
The picture above is for Step 23 of the water pump removal process for a 2004 Saab 9-3 turbo as listed in our online reference.
"23. Mark the direction of rotation, relieve the multigroove belt and remove it using 83 96 095 Belt Circuit Relieving Tool. B207"

7 figures later, Fig 59, attached, shows that removing the serp belt shouldn't be required.

Rivermikerat
WARNING! Everyone BEWARE when replacing the water pump!

Even when using the required special tool the timing chain still whines!

The balance shaft timing chain must be reset or it will make noise.
We just found this out through experience and want to pass this along to others so they will not walk blindly in to this job.

Note: Mechanics & shops make sure you add extra time to remove timing cover and reset the balance shaft chain tensioner. As this is not included in any labor guides.

Import service