CAR HAS STARTED TO NOT TAKE OFF FROM REST, UNLESS YOU REV IT UP. TAKE OFF NORMALLY, CAR SLOWLY BUILDS SPEED UNTIL TURBO KICKS IN.

2004 Renault Espace • 86,000 miles

1.9 DCi diesel. Turbo replaced last July. Twice since then, have had to put 2-3 litres of oil in to top up between changes. Oil present in turbo pipe, before turbo. In the last few weeks, if I take off with increased revs. No problem and turbo kicks in just under 2000 revs. No smoke. If I take off as normal, car builds speed slowly, until turbo kicks in, she then accelerates away with a large cloud of grey / black smoke. No problems at cruising speeds, but if I accelerate hard, with revs below turbo kick in, car takes time to build speed, turbo kicks in and car accelerates with smoke trail until what I presume is all the unburt diesel is gone, then clear exhaust. Has got worse since originally noticed.
Bof No1

Check for oil leaks first. Then check for vacuum leaks. Then check to see if the catalytic converter, if equipped, is plugged.

Rivermikerat
Hi, Sorry, but check for oil leaks where and what does "plugged" mean? Obviously, there must be differences in names, I might call "plugged" by another name, Thanks.

Bof No1
Oil leaks anywhere, especially where it could enter the turbo. Plugged means not allowing the exhaust stream to flow in an unrestricted manner.

Rivermikerat