ELECTRICAL

2004 Pontiac Grand Am • 3.4L 6 cylinder FWD Automatic • 141,000 miles

My lights on the dash and headlights as well as the tail lights seem to go a bit dim and then back to bright as though the turn signals are flashing, but none of the lights go out when this is happening. It's as though they have a pulse. I have installed a new battery which I have had checked, and is ok. I also had the altenator checked too and is ok. Can any one tell me what may be wrong? I'm afraid something is going out and would like to have it fixed before this happens. Also, at times my turn signal flasher clicks fast as though I have a bulb burnt out but don't. I think these two problems are related, but not sure. Thanks for any help.

Bensjets

Try cleaning your battery terminal ends first and check condition of belt and tensioner, recommended replacement is 60k

Ok. Will try both suggestions and let you know how I made out. Thank you.

Bensjets
Hmac300. I replaced the side mount battery studs and made sure the holes where clean. The battery is new and checked out ok. I then replaced the belt and tensioner as you suggested. I bought this car used two months ago, and was sure this was never done till now. I still have the same problems with the lights going dim then bright again as though the turn signals are flashing and interfering with the system even though the signals aren't on. It is doing this on all four corners of the car as well with the dash lights, including the lights on the radio. Nothing I do seems to make any difference in the way the lights pulse. It's not like when you let off the gas and let it idle and the lights go dim or the heater fan slows if on. They actually pulse from bright to dim to bright again as though they are connected to the turn signals, and they all do it at the same time. They stay on, but lack of a better discription, they pulse. If you have any more suggestion, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

Bensjets
Try cleaning the battery to body ground at base of battery and near left headlamp make sure those have good contact.

Hmac300. Ok. Had to leave town, but will try what you suggested. I do think its something to do with a bad ground somewhere, so I'm hoping this idea fixes the problem. Will let you know either way. Thanks once again.

Bensjets
To Hmac300. I replaced the the ground wire with a new one. I still have the problem and now my turn signals flash quickly as though a bulb is out, but they all are ok. This doesn't happen all the time. Also, my stereo won't come on now. I'm guessing it's a safelock system or whatever they are called. I thought the 04 models used the VIN # and I had no problem when I disconnected the battery cables before to put new side terminals studs on. I surely am lost for an answer. This all must be something hooked together. I would be greatly in your debt if you can help with any more suggestions. Thanks.

Bensjets
Tyr the last 4 digit os of vin if not you'll hav eot contact gm. As far as anything else I have no idea what to tell you sorry. I'd really need to look at this myself.

Hmac300. Ok. Will try. Thanks for your suggestions.

Bensjets