RATTLING WHEN I GET OFF THE GAS

2004 Nissan Sentra • 4 cylinder FWD Manual • 92,000 miles

I have a 2004 Nissan Sentra SE-R Spec V 6 speed manual trasnmission. I have about 92000 miles on the car.

When I am driving and get off the gas, when the rpms get down between 2500 and 2000 there is a strange loud rattling/squeeking noise. It only happens in that rpm range and only happens when I get off the gas and the car is in gear. When I accelerate it does not make a noise, or if I shift into neutral it does not make the noise. It almost sounds like its in the console or just in front of the shifter, right in the front center of the car. Thanks for everyones help!
Ashaway12

Maybe CAT that is its location if core broken up it will rattel when backpressure increases. Jack up and bang on CAT hear rattling

Docfixit
Thanks Docfixit. Stupid question, by CAT you mean Catalytic Converter? The reason I ask is my service engine light has been on for a while and the error code refers to something in the catalytic. I was hoping to avoid an expensive catalytic repair.

Ashaway12
Yes CAT is catalitic is code P0420?

Docfixit
Yes the code is P0420. What does that mean for my car? If the catalitic needs to be replaced is the car unsafe to drive?

Ashaway12
Means CAT operating below effeciency you can drive car but fuel milage may decrease and CAT may clog up

Docfixit