ENGINE STALLS

2004 Mitsubishi Outlander • 4 cylinder 2WD Automatic • 50,000 miles

2004 Mit Outlander. I changed alternator and battery. Starts, stays on for a minute and then cuts off. Will stay on if I rev engine. Stalls when I let off the gas. Any thoughts?
Gcaleron

Are you getting a check engine light? When was your last tune up?

Ernest Clark
Tune up was recent. Fuel injectors were serviced recently. Hooked up Actron Code checker found PASS no codes. Oxygen sensor was incomplete though.

Gcaleron
NO engine check lights.

Gcaleron
If it runs better when you rev the engine, that suggest a fuel related issue and not ignition.

Check the fuel pressure regulator by removing the vacuum hose and checking for fuel. If there's any, then that's your problem.

If not, it may be a sensor (not 02) that's intermittent. Sometimes they won't produce a code until they fail enough for the computer to detect it. You'll need a better scanner that's capable of reading live sensor data. If you aren't knowledgeable in that area, you'll have to get a tech to do it.

Ernest Clark
NO fuel in the hose. Where would I find the sensor?

Gcaleron
Your engine has several sensors. There's more than one way to check these sensors, but to do so with a meter or scope would probably be beyond your capability. A lot of techs don't even know how.

That's why I suggested you have the computer scanned with a professional scanner capable of reading live data. Unfortunately, these are the kind of issues where you may not have a choice but to take it into a shop. If you feel capable, and can get access to a good scanner updated to your model year, then I can tell you what to do.

Ernest Clark
Where can I purchase a scanner like that?

Gcaleron
Mit dealer said to bring it in. Thanks for your help.

Gcaleron
No problem

Ernest Clark