WHAT CAN CAUSE A TO OVERHEAT?

2004 Mitsubishi Lancer

I have checked the radiator, pumps and the fans and the problem still persist. Its an awkward problem because the temperature gauge goes up suddenly and then few seconds pass and it goes down again. Does anyone know what could the problem be?
Rosky-13hotmailcom

Have you checked or changes the thermostat? It sounds like that the thermostat may be sticking just a bit then opens.

Racefan966
I already changed the thermostat and the problem is still there.

Rosky-13hotmailcom
What type of stat did you use? If you bought the premium one they tend to that. It will get a touch warmer then normal then open and the temp drops kinda strange.

Racefan966
Im really not sure what stat it is because my mechanic was the one who changed it and the only thing I know is that he bought it in Auto Zone. But if you mention that it tends to get the car warmer it could be that then. Because the temp rises especially when Im coming up a mountain.

Rosky-13hotmailcom
Ok so if I am understanding correctly it warms up when you put the engine under a load? Does it do fine then when you are flat ground or down hill then?

Racefan966
Thats correct! On flats and downhills its usually normal but in hills it starts to warm up.

Rosky-13hotmailcom
And also it only heats up when its exposed to alot of sun, at night it doesnt warm up.

Rosky-13hotmailcom
Ok so different thought then. Have had the cat converter checked for proper flow? Also the radiator is flowing good and the water pump is moving the coolant sufficiantly?

Racefan966
Well the cat converter I havent checked. I will take it to be check and I'll let you now. Thanks for the help.

Rosky-13hotmailcom
But what does the cat converter has to do with the temp problems?

Rosky-13hotmailcom