LOUD GROWLING NOISE, EL JUMPED AND COASTED TO A STOP, TRANSMISSION?

2004 Honda Element • 138,000 miles

2004 Element AWD A/T 138000mi. Regular maintenance, plus recommended services.
Was driving fine at 55 mph, came into town slowed to 30mph, went up a slight hill in town, the front of the car began to make a growling noise, then all of a sudden the car jumped upwards and lost power. I coasted to a stop, El would not move. Turned off, then restarted, put it into drive(d) and it would not move. Tried reverse, and it would not move.
Had to have it towed 200ft to the nearest garage, they can't look at it until tomorrow. I tried to put it into gear again. Car started, stalled in reverse. Restarted, shifted to neutral fine, shifted to drive, stalled in drive.
There are no lights showing on the dash. Engine has oil, transmission fluid is at normal level when running. When started engine makes a rattle that wasn't noticed before. There was no noticeable noise when shifted into gear and the engine stalled. The car did try to move just before stalling, but I did not want to rev the engine to make it any worse than it already is. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Mud1070

Inspect drive shaft and CV axles
suspect transfer case
check engine light on?

BMRFIXIT