LOW POWER

2004 Ford Escape • 6 cylinder 4WD Automatic • 95,000 miles

I have recently noticed a lack of power when I try to accelerate, along with a blowing noise, like a 'shhhhhh.'. This noise is only heard when I push the gas pedal.
When I started the engine cold, I looked under the hood and under the vehicle for a leak somewhere, and I could see exhaust steam coming from under the engine. I am assuming there is an exhaust leak at or right around the manifold area. Am I correct to assume this is where I am losing power due to lost compression, and where I am hearing the loud 'whooshing' sound when I push on the gas? It seems the sound is right behind my dash/firewall, so that would put it right at the manifold area.
Leodajim

Do you have a check engine light on
and if so check for code s
Suspect exhaust flex pipe
check with your local exhaust repair shop

BMRFIXIT
Thats the wierd part, no light.

Leodajim
Any ballpark on what repair costs for something like that would be?

Leodajim
If it is the flex pipe to cut and replace would be around $160

BMRFIXIT
Where would I look for the flex pipe? Does it come right out of the manifold?

Leodajim
Flex pipe

BMRFIXIT
I have your sollution for you! U said u have a hissing noise? Low power?
Clogged converter! Run the vehicle, get it hot, you wont have any exhaust pressure, if u step on the gas, no increased exhaust presure, at the tail pipe. You might get under the car and feel air rushing out from the flange connecting to the the converter pipe and also it will be extreamly hot.

Mcsgarage
Well, I'm thinking you are correct. On my way to the exhaust repair shop yesterday, I hear a sudden louder rush of air under the hood. Turns out the EGR valve had a hole in it, where the metal literally 'popped'. So I replaced the valve, and the associated solenoid, and now I am back to the original problem, of low power and a 'hissing' noise whenever I step on the gas. I am going to have a back pressure test done. Did the EGR valve pop because of the pressure from the clogged converter?

Leodajim
VERY POSSIBLE

NEXT SHOULD catalytic converter AND EXHAUST SYSTEM back pressure test

BMRFIXIT