VAN RUNS FINE, BUT WHEN FILLING WITH GAS, IT TRIPS THE FILL MECHANISM SEVERAL TIMES.

2004 Ford E-Series Van • 150,000 miles

I disassembled the vent hose between the tank and filler and blew air both ways. This did not solve the problem. Where is the carbon canister? Is there a solenoid on top of the tank which could be the problem? I could smell gas when I separated the vent line, it must be open to the tank. I previosly owned a 1993 E-350 and did not have this problem.
Bdewilde

Check the evap canister for excessive fuel. Sometimes the gas cap itself will not vent properly, this affects different vehicles in different ways, and will create some pressure. Reove the lines to the EVAP canister and see if gas pours out. Sometimes the EVAP can get fuel in it from overfilling the tank. This creates a problem with return in the canister and vapor locks the gas tank.

Where is the EVAP canister on an E-series Ford van?

Bdewilde
It is located near the spare tire under the rear of the vehicle.
It is on the drivers side and either in front or in back of the spare tire.
It is a large black canister and is strapped to the frame rail.