DODGE SRT-4 COMPRESSION PROBLEM

2004 Dodge Srt-4 • 96,500 miles

I have a 2004 dodge neon srt-4. Its a 2.4L turbo. I have getting a trouble code that reads P0301 and I know that is a cylinder 1 misfire. I hear a popping noise coming from my exhaust at idle and the crackle from the exhast that I normal have is no longer there. I recently changed the spark plugs and wires. However, I am still hearing the noise and getting the same code. What could this be/what could I do to fix this? Also the check engine light only flashes every so often and stays on at random points or remains off for days. Any advice or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

if it makes any difference the car has a catless downpipe and a dual exit exhaust with no resonaters as well as a few other modifications.

thanks
Sirens182

Yes, that is the # 1 cylinder misfiring and apart from the spark plugs, the ignition coils and plug wires are possible suspect areas. Ensure the wires are secure in position and test their resistance to see if any is out specs.

Start with a compression test.

Could be vacuum leak, injector or electrical issue as well

ASEMaster6371 how do I go about performing the compression test?

Sirens182
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-test-engine-compression

Above link explains how to go about. You can loan the equipment from stores that provides such services.