I HAVE A 2.4L ENGINE WITH A SIGNIFICANT ENGINE OIL LEAK.

2004 Dodge Caravan • 80,000 miles

The oil leak (at least a quart a day) appears to be coming from a plug looking thing jutting from the back of the oil pan about a third or a fourth of the way up the engine block from the bottom. It has a thin wire coming from it leading to who knows where. The oil seems to be coming from the plug, running down the wire, and dripping off of it. I think it might be the oil pressure switch or the oil pressure sender. Are the switch and the sender two names for the same device? And am I right about what that thing is? I need to know so I can get the right part from the store and try to replace it; I can't afford to take it into a shop right now. P.S. It only leaks out (significantly) when the engine is running.
Flipjohnson

If you give me a few minutes, I'll post a photo so you can verify we're talking about the same thing.

See if this is what you're looking at. It's a photo from rockauto. Com. Looks to me like it just runs a warning light, not a gauge. I don't see any listing for a pressure sending unit. If the car also has a gauge on the dash, the sending unit will typically have two wires, one for the light and one for the gauge.