MY STARTED MAKING A SCREECHING NOISE.IT NOW HAS 62000 MILES ON IT. IT WILL DO IT FOR A MINUTE AND THEN STOP AND THEN START IN AGAIN 5 MIN LATER. WATER PUMP? BEARINGS? AIR CONDITIONER?

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 62,000 miles

I just went out and started the car, it will start screeching on it's own and then quit. If I turn the air conditioning on, it seems to start screeching louder and then go down to a lower pitch. It does the same thing with the heater but not as loud. In the off position it will quit, but will start in on it's own. I had a problem with a part in the air conditioner this summer when I was out of state and the mechanic I talked to could not get the part and we had a medical emergency and had to leave before he could order it. He cleaned the valve and it worked fine, that was three months ago. Could this be the problem?
TEW

Sounds like you have a belt slipping causing the screech. It may be the alternator pulley that is making noise. Or the AC pulley. Or even the AC clutch itself? This could be cause by to much resistance from the accessory the pulleys are on or a loose belt tensioner or a won belt or a combination.

Fixitmr
If the belts from either the alternator or the serptine get any oil or grease on them, that would cause them to slip causing the screeching noise. Also if any water gets on them the same would occur, have you heard it when the outside temp. Changed. The reason is that I did my belts and the tensioner pulley(not the tensioner) and I hear the same noise during an initial startup, but out goes away right after it occurs(MOISTURE is the culprit).

Kruzin
TEW: Did you replace the belt or tensioner and get this fixed?

Rivermikerat
I took it to the local dealer as I was having AC problems along with the squeal they told me that I needed to replace the front fan, etc. $700.00 later. They said that my belt was loose and that a retaining/set bolt was missing and the part would have to be replaced at sometime, but they tightened it up and it should be good for awhile. I asked them if it should be replaced right away and they did not seem too concerned that I would have any problems. I have noticed the squeal when the moisture seems to be higher and when it cools off in the evening, Yesterday the belt went out so it is going into the shop for a belt replacement. I wish they would have repaired the car completely the first time I had it in, replaced belt and missing bolt part, instead of calling it an old school fix and I would not be out the expense of a second car rental. I had asked them to replace the belt when I first brought it in and they said it didn't need it.

TEW
You know, for a much smaller monetary investment and a couple hours, you can do it yourself.
HUH. My browser isn't letting me paste. But I'll type it:
http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

You can buy a one month subscription for around $11 and it'll show you everything you need to know.

Rivermikerat