CHRYSLER PT CRUISER STEREO PROBLEM

2004 Chrysler PT Cruiser • 172,026 miles

Lately the stereo system on my cruiser has not been working correctly. When I turn my key in the ACC position, I am able to play the radio, play a cd, and even see everything on the display screen. It works perfectly. Once my car is turned on though, the whole stereo system shuts off, it completely black without any sound. Pressing buttons does nothing. Although if I put my ear next to the stereo system, I can still hear the turning of the CD if I am in the CD mode. I can also hear the CD switching songs when I press the seek button, but no sound comes from the stereo and the display is black. Every once in awhile when I am driving, the stereo flashes and for a quick instant the radio or cd comes on but then switches off again. It sometimes flashes multiple times in a row or may even stay on for a few seconds and then off again. Im assuming its the fuse?

It can't be a fuse problem because it works in the Accessory position. I'd start by inspecting the ignition switch connector for signs of a melted connector body and / or overheated terminals.